Banish those Monday blues with our round-up of the must-read stories that are making the headlines.
Donald Glover talks Solo reshoots
He's the face of hit TV show Atlanta (returning in March for its second series) and has a huge following as musician Childish Gambino. So it would seem that Donald Glover has done pretty much everything – apart from playing young Lando Calrissian, that is.
Well it'll soon be time to strike that off the list as well, as Glover is bringing Han Solo's BFF to life in this summer's Solo: A Star Wars Story. Directed by Ron Howard and starring Alden Ehrenreich in the title role, the movie was mired in controversy last year when original directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller were fired by Lucasfilm over alleged creative differences.
Howard then stepped in midway through 2017, completing filming and, if rumours are to be believed, undertaking a significant amount of reshoots too. Glover however plays down any suggestion of behind the scenes tension, telling Deadline the transition between filmmakers was a smooth one.
"It didn’t really," the actor says when asked if anything changed. "I think we were never faced with anything like that and [Ron Howard] did a good job of coming in and didn’t want us to change what we were doing at all. He wanted us to be comfortable with our vision."
Of his own scenes, Glover says there was "not a ton" of footage that needed to be reshot. He adds: "This is the first time in a long time, I was just acting. Most of the time, I have to write or do music. This time I woke up and got to be somebody else and the stress wasn’t there for me."
Praising his director, Glover says Howard was actively thinking of fresh ways to take the audience inside the comfortingly familiar environment of Solo's ship, the Millennium Falcon.
Glover recalls: "I remember going on set one of the first times, he was like, 'Yeah, I want to follow you onto the Millennium Falcon and do this thing'... "I was like, 'I don’t think I’ve ever seen the outside go into the inside.'" "He’s like, 'Yeah, no one’s ever done that shot.' As a fan I was really excited. I know there’s been a lot of talk in the press about this movie, but, for me anyway, it was a dream and also it looks really cool to me."
Ridley Scott planning a third Blade Runner movie
Although it wasn't the blockbuster hit many expected, Blade Runner 2049 went down a storm with critics. With many tipping it for potential success in the forthcoming Oscar nominations, talk naturally extends to the future of the series. Will we be getting a third Blade Runner movie?
Franchise figurehead Ridley Scott, whose 1982 masterpiece kicked off the sci-fi saga, says he has an idea for a third movie, although with 2049 director Denis Villeneuve currently hip-deep in his Dune remake, he probably isn't expected to return.
"I think there is another story," Scott tells Digital Spy. "I’ve got another one ready to evolve and be developed, so there is certainly one to be done for sure."
Might we expect to see a continuation of Deckard's (Harrison Ford) story, including the reunion with his daughter? It would certainly be intriguing although with Ford's advancing years they'll have to get their skates on.
Scott's latest movie, All the Money in the World, is currently on release in Cineworld having received three Golden Globe nominations including one for Scott himself and another for actor Christopher Plummer (who replaced Kevin Spacey at the last minute over assault allegations). Check out the full list of Golden Globe winners here.
Maleficent 2 may begin filming this spring
Back in 2014 Sleeping Beauty reboot Maleficent helped kick-start Disney's live-action renaissance. Grossing a mighty $750 million at the box office it paved the way for the blockbusting likes of Cinderella and The Jungle Book, not to mention the 2019 onslaught of The Lion King, Aladdin and Mulan.
Angelina Jolie donned the horns and wings as the vengeful Disney villain who, in a neat story twist, ultimately came good as a result of her relationship with the pure-hearted Aurora (Elle Fanning). But it seems Maleficent's story isn't done yet.
According to movie blog Omega Underground the film is already in pre-production and will start filming in London this April, with Jolie back as the title character. Scheduling was initially in doubt owing to Jolie's commitment to Universal's Bride of Frankenstein reboot, but with that project now on hold it seems she's free to return.
"We have been working on the script and this is going to be a really strong sequel," Jolie told Deadline during last year's Telluride Film Festival.
There's no word yet as to whether Fanning or co-stars Sam Riley and Brenton Thwaites will return. However Jez Butterworth has re-written the original script by the first film's writer Linda Woolverton and Pirates 5 filmmaker Joachim Ronning is tipped to direct.
With no release date set for Maleficent 2 yet, check out our comprehensive list of upcoming Disney remakes.